NYC is the best place to live because here, you can get everything you need. Unfortunately, NYC is the most expensive city to live so you might want to move to Chicago due to this reason. But the good news is Chicago will also not disappoint you. Many moving companies can help you make your move from NYC to Chicago stress-free.
Moving to Chicago is a good decision, and you won’t regret it. This city offers many large amenities so you can enjoy a better life quality. So, without wasting any time, let’s explore how to move from NYC to Chicago.
Tips for Moving From NYC to Chicago
The distance between NYC and Chicago is about 899 miles. So, when you decide to move, start your packing. When you start early, you can do the task quickly.
- Declutter, Organize, and Pack
Moving from NYC to Chicago is a big decision, and you’ll have to reduce your belongings to get the move done cheaply. So, how can you make your move cheap? First of all, get rid of all the items that are no longer in use. You can sell them or donate them to get some money. You can declutter furniture or unwanted clothes by selling them online.
Now, you’ll be left with only the essential items. So, now you need to organize items room-wise. Purchase the moving supplies, including boxes, bubble wrap, and padding or foam. Don’t forget to get one or two ziplock bags to secure cables.
Start packing room-wise and label boxes according to the number of rooms. Firstly, pack those items that you don’t need in your existing home. Pack the daily needed items at the end. Pack delicate items carefully and secure them to avoid damage. The more time you spend on packing, the safer your items will be.
- Hire Movers
Long-distance moves are not easy, so we would never suggest doing it yourself. They’ll pack items and then perform the loading and unloading tasks. Moreover, they’re professionally trained, so they know how to deal with heavy and delicate items.
You need to get quotes from multiple companies to find the best one. For a long-distance move, the best option is to hire full-service movers. It will save you from injuries. Finally, ensure that the company will be at your door on a moving day right on time. Finally, ensure that the company is insured so that you get your money if something gets damaged.
- Book Your Movers Early
When you decide to move, start meeting with moving companies. Ask them to visit your home to provide you cost estimates. Ask all the questions that you have in mind. If you want to make your move cheap, avoid moving during holidays. Move during the off-season to make your move cheap.
Find a company that offers affordable rates for long-distance moves. On the other hand, if you want to do everything yourself, ensure that you arrange the workforce and moving truck early. When you do it last minute, it will lead you to wrong decisions.
When you want to relocate:
- Let your landlord know at least one month before the moving date.
- Disconnect your all the utilities and change your postal address so that you can get your mails on the new address.
- Get booking for utilities at a new location.
It will make things easier for you.
- Get Back to Routine
After reaching your new home, it will take time to adjust and get back to routine. So, be patient and let your kids and pets get used to the new conditions, neighborhood, schools, and parks. Take your kids on a drive to familiarize them with the streets. Enjoy your time in Chicago.
Benefits of Moving to Chicago from NYC
- Chicago has a lower cost of living as compared to NYC.
- Public transport is smooth and cheap in Chicago, and residents can move through all regions of the city.
- The job market in Chicago is strong, and you can get multiple job opportunities in shipping, warehousing, and Railroad.
- Chicago has awe-inspiring and worth-watching scenery. The city has an excellent skyline, beautiful green space, and open-air views.
- It is a good place for higher education. So, you’ll not have to worry about the education of your kids.
- There are unlimited entertainment opportunities. So, when you get back from work, you can find opportunities according to your interest.
Moving from NYC to Chicago is a big decision, but thankfully you wouldn’t regret it. There are plenty of benefits of moving from NYC to Chicago, and some are listed above. Finally, follow the tips mentioned above and make your move from NYC to Chicago cheap and worthy.