The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched . They must be felt within the heart . This is a quote by Helen Adams Keller, we all have read about her in our school textbooks but have you ever tried to go beyond what books taught you ? If no, then you must. Her autobiography titled “The Story Of My Life ” is a must read book not just because it inspires people in so many ways to get out of your comfort zone and hustle to achieve your goals and aspirations but also because it teaches us that no problem in this world is big if you are determined to tackle it. So, Let’s talk about 7 reasons why you must read Helen Keller’s autobiography :-
- The book depicts the greatest lesson that is the value of PERSEVERANCE & HARDWORK. It talks about how a blind and deaf girl with her hard work and never giving up attitude is able to achieve what many would consider impossible. She says ” Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement .Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.”
- Secondly , there is nothing impossible in this world. Only condition is- one must get association of able and right persons .She talks about her teacher ANNE SULLIVAN and says that it was her teacher who unfolded the mysteries of the world to her. She says ” When she came, everything about me breathed of love & joy & was full of meaning. She has never since let pass an opportunity to point out the beauty that is in everything , nor has she ceased trying in thought & action & example to make my life sweet & useful.”
- Thirdly, a teacher can be a true guide & philosopher if he/she takes his/her job sincerely. And if he/she performs it honestly even mountains can give safe passage. Any teacher can take a child to the classroom, but not every teacher can make him learn. He will not work joyously until he feels that liberty is his, whether he is busy or at rest; he must feel the flush of victory & the heart sinking of disappointment before he takes with a will the tasks distasteful to him & resolves to dance his way bravely through a dull routine of textbooks.
- Fourthly, a pupil must have unflinching faith in her teacher. Helen Keller says ” My teacher is so near to me that I scarcely think of myself apart from her . How much of my delight in all beautiful things is innate , & how much is due to her influence , I can never tell, I feel that her being is inseparable from my own ,& that the footsteps of my life are in hers. All the best of my belongs to her—there is not a talent , or an aspiration, or a joy in me that has not been awakened by her loving touch.
- Fifthly, the only religion in the world is ‘the religion of universal love’. The sooner it is understood, the better it would be . She says ” The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision”.
- Sixthly, whenever stress and strain envelopes a person , he should look into his mind & try to understand the situation and devise ways to come out of it. She says ” Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened , vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved. Although the world is full of suffering , it is full also of the overcoming of it”.
- Seventhly, one should not form on opinion which is unchangeable & staunch. One must be ready to undergo change & accept & adopt what is right & correct . Dogmatic attitude can never help. Very rightly said by her ” The highest result of education is tolerance . True education combines intellect, beauty, goodness, & the greatest of these is goodness . “
Last thing I would like to drive in your mind is that there are people in this world who have suffered so much , gone through a lot in their lives emotionally , physically sometimes mentally but they came out victorious only because of their hard work , dedication , and never giving up attitude. And may be Helen Keller has left us physically but her story will continue to inspire generations .