- Wear shoes of good quality and that should suit you.
- Maintain uniforms and cap is amust.
- Keep wounds, cuts and burns covered.
- Keep face, body and uniform clean.
- Avoid scratching habit anywhere when at work or relaxing.
- Keep hairs covered.
- Follow rules. Do right thinhs rihtly and then have speed.
- Learn hygiene and never compromise with practice.
- Always walk to left and be concern to avoid accident.
- Work safe and never overload nor overwork and be tired.
- Cover coughs, sneeze and wash.
- Enjoy your job. Give your best and leave the rest on Almighty.
- Avoid filthy eating practices.
- Keep working area clean.
- Wash your hands with soap at intervals, when coming to duty and
always after sneezing, blowing the nose, smoking, cleaning dirties, cleaning
equipments, and using toilet.
- Don’t spit, sneeze, smoke nor chew gums in working area.
- Don’t use finger for tasting.
- Don’t allow to touch anypart of the body while working or after.
- Don’t taste food very often. Taste with a tea spoon never the cooking
utensils. Avoid filthy eating practices.
- Don’t make you and your working area dirty.
- Never encourage heavy ornaments, harmful cosmetics and strong
- Never touch food when suffering decentery.
- Never nail by teeth.
- Don’t keep peels, raw food, cooked food or two foods together.
- Don’t smoke. If you smoke go out of kitchen. One must wash mouth,
face and hand before food handling.
- Waste not, want not.
- Don’t taste food very often.
- Don’t use lavish cosmetics and strong perfumes.
- Don’t lean or sit on work surface
- No nose picking.
- No heavy abrasion on skin.
- No heavy jewellery, rings, bangles etc. and watch.
- Don’t touch raw food, disinfectant.
- Never carry knives or other tools with the points protruding.
- Don’t attempt to catch a falling knife.
- Maintain work environment. Never encourage alcohol and drugs.
- Don’t dream in daylight. Don’t ever run nor slide. No hastyness no
- Knives must never be left in sinks of water.
- When using a knife, cut away from your fingerline
- When cleaning a knife wie the edge away from you.
- Keep work benches clear of unnecessary tools, especially knives.
- Keep oven clothes dry.
- Never use your hands where it is unsafe.e.g.mincing machine, bowl
chopper, liquidiser etc.
- When using electric mixer ensure that it is in the first gear before
switching onWhere pans are removed from the oven do not leave hot handles unmarked.
- Combine extremes of temperarure in cooking must be done slowly.
- Don’t leave saucepan handles protruding from the stove top,
- Avoid the use of excess fat when grilling, frying, roasting etc.
- Never put cans in bainmarie to heat up.
- Unsealed containers with liquids should not be left above shoulder height.
- Spillages of water and grease on the floor must be cleared up immediately
- Breakages of glass and chinamust be cleared awayand checked immediately
- When lifting heavyy objects from the floor do so with a straight back.
- Be particularly attentive when using electric mechanical equipments.
- Avoid distractions when carrying out tasks particularly when doing so at allspeed.
- Never taste by hand.
UNIFORM OR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING
Hat/ Cap / net- Headgear – circulation of air, doesn’t allow the hair to come
into the food. One can’t touch in case of trouble. Partly absorbs sweat,
prespirations. A pride for worker and it differentiates a chef. Modern trenddisposable
Neckerchief– absorbs perspiration, de mark the grade and help in classifying.
Jacket/ Coat/ overall coat– not loose to cause inconvenience and look odd,
inconvenience to work, nor tight to restrict free movement, double breasted to protect front body from spillage and heat, save scalding, sleeves protects from accidents and does not allow sweat to fall on food, protect high heat, protect from hot liquid and spillage. Designed jackets look more attractive and distinct.
Dusters– two- should be clean and at least one dry, to confirm a clean and
dry plate in which the food is servd. Help in cleaning table top, vegetables,
fruits, gas range andother working areas, utensils and equipments. Always wash it in between to keep clean and dry it if there is any opportunity and avoid bad smell.
Appron– should be below knees to save you immediately.
Trouser– protective, should be fresh, loose, never tight that restricts
movement particularly while seating.
Shoes– protective foot wear- strong, stout, durable, repair- safety during
working, sensible hard heel- keep firm footing and avoid slip. Elevated heels
keeps toes closed, pain and give instability during pressure.
Shocks– absorb sweating, smooth to walk, save foot,
Goggles– for oven
Gloves– protect hand
Hair net– for lady chefs
Gunboots– protect leg in ice carving, to enter deep freeze cabinet, cleaning