Speaking fluent English is everyone’s dream. In present times, fluent spoken English capability is associated with smartness. More your fluency, greater is your smartness. Although I personally don’t feel so, but there is no harm in learning and mastering a new language, right? The task may feel intimidating at first; but believe me, 8 simple tips can sail you through this language ocean.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes: You may fumble in your initial stages of English speaking; may use wrong tense, use two comparatives together (such as, This burger is more bigger than that one) etc. Don’t panic. It is absolutely fine to make mistakes. Don’t be ashamed. Learn from your mistakes. Get the courage to speak up. Accept criticisms sportingly.
- Hear English conversations: The easiest way to improve your speaking skills is to listen to English content as much as you can. Turn to English news channels like CNN –News 18, ET Now, India Today, Bloomberg Quint or any other channel that is provided by your cable operator. Listen to them carefully. Pay attention to their choice of words and how they are expressing themselves. Listen to English YouTube content. Watch more English movies; use subtitles.
- Use technology: In this technology driven world, you can always make the most out of it. There are many apps that can help you to improve your spoken English. Apps like Duolingo, Cambly, BBC Learning English, ECL Learning English are available in Google play store. You can use them anywhere, anytime in your mobile phone and practice your vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation.
- Read a lot: Reading is the key. It is not a mandate to read big novels or complex books like Finnegans Wake or Infinite Jest. Just grab a simple story book or a novella, sip on your favorite coffee and enjoy. Switch to English newspaper. Learn and understand the new words. Note their usage in a sentence. Bear in mind that your reading should be pleasurable; else soon you will lose interest.
- Use English every single day: Even if you aren’t studying or speaking English actively, increase your daily English interaction to the hilt. Start by simple things like changing your mobile phone settings to English and listening to English songs.
- Think English: One of the most common mistakes that we all tend to do is while speaking, we arrange our thoughts in our native language. Then we translate it to English. This is the biggest blockade in your fluency. You must arrange your thoughts in English. This will reduce your fumbling.
- Don’t stress on grammar: Do you know that the native speakers often break grammar rules? It is important to have grammatical knowledge to have a strong grasp on the language, but when it comes to speaking, grammar should be the least concern in your list. Your aim is to make yourself intelligible. Gradually you will start to catch on to the grammar rules.
- Increase your vocabulary: Try to learn at least 3-4 new words every day. Make weekly goals and try to achieve them. Learn new phrases, jargons and terminologies. This will help you to express your thinking in fewer words.
Learning a new language is always fun. It is not a rocket science. Catching up with fluent speaking skills just requires the right attitude and mindset. Be confident and remember that you are not the only one who faces hesitation. If it is taking time, don’t stress yourself. Gaining fluency is a process. Make this journey pleasurable and interesting and soon you will see the results.